Friday, February 19, 2010

Tuxedo cat Tuxie at window sill


Journal Assignment Week 2

Writing you must do this week. (3 hours)
1. Journal Writing. You are very much encouraged to write anything you want at any time you like in your journal. You do not need to limit yourself to the assigned journal questions. For example, you could copy all your posts in the discussion boards and paste them into your journal. You could do free writing exercises and put them in the journal. If you write letters to anyone in which you describe our program or your work in the program you could paste sections of those letters into this journal. Do not constrain yourself to just the assigned journal questions.
2. Journal Writing. As a sample autobiography what did you find interesting, surprising, or frustrating about Rogers’ chapters? What might you apply to your own autobiography? What might you do differently?
3. Journal Writing. Note what you learned in the Elbow reading about writing. Which things would you want to try?
4. Journal Writing. Examine your goals and barriers in using the journal as a learning tool.
5. Learning Autobiography. You will almost certainly want to devote an hour or so of your time this week to the beginning work on your actual learning autobiography. This might be time you spend making an outline, or listing main points, or freewriting paragraphs about ideas and memories you've had after doing this week's readings and journal writing.

Completed in previous pages

What I found surprising was Roger’s complete candor and humility in his assessment of his own frontier breaking grounds in the client-oriented relationship in therapy and the person-centered psychology in his humanistic psychology. Also, his empirical methods in understanding the client-therapy interview relationship were surprising.

I tried freewriting and poetry in the Elbow book.

My goals and barriers in using the journal as a learning tool are that to get new ideas and to formulate my ideas well using different methods to generate new ideas and to put them into a coherent whole. I want to use the journal to ferret out what is it that is really motivating me to take this LNT program and what my eventual Master’s thesis and eventually what my work/occupation will be.

The obstacles are that I don’t search deep enough within myself or be humble enough to admit what I don’t know or what I can improve on to get the necessary help and practice and new information to get through the program. Also, I must try new methods to generate writing in the journal and thus, I will have new ways of examining my state of being and the knowledge I posses.

A plan for my learning autobiography is to remember what my clearest and most
memorable learning experiences where I actually got a thrill out of learning. That learning doesn’t have to be bookish or academic though. What I think I enjoyed learning the most is hearing older people talking about how things were in the past. And so although I did not veer towards history as a subject in particular to study, I learned that things have causes, and those causes arose out of a tradition. Coupled with this is my incessant wondering how things came to be when I was young. So, I ended up with a keen interest in philosophy. But my interest in philosophy was tempered with an interest in literature, and consequently, I want to be a literary theory writer or critic. To judge something, I must have standards or approaches to compare it to. Thus I want to learn a fair amount of literature, literary theory, and philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment