Friday, February 19, 2010

Journal




Here’s my own “Creation Myth”

Creation Myth In the beginning out of the Void and Chaos there was only one Being, who called himself God. He was a lonely guy because although he had the means to slow, stop, or to speed up time, to travel from one dimension to another, to create galaxies and parallel universes as easily as you and I could say “Pie” he had no one to appreciate his powers and his ken. He hadn’t even contemplated the idea of a Dog yet, which was merely the spelling of his name backwards. But one day, as he was traveling through deep space, through a “worm hole” created by a massive dying star, which was creating a black hole, he noticed that he was getting warmer and warmer as his infinite being was being sucked into the black hole. An incredible insight came to him from this darkness. He contemplated a department store called Sears, Roebuck, and Company; he further contemplated all the things that he could create for this variety store. He thought of washers and dryers, television sets, computers, shoes, hats, winter mittens, and even chain saws. He thought even of home improvement k here was no complex organism such as Himself that could appreciate what he was capable of. His loneliness only deepened until he thought of an entity called “Man.” [The reader is advised to read the word “man” as a generic term for man, woman, boy, or girl] So, he invented dough, the kind that you make cake and donuts out of and not the slang for money. He fashioned the dough into little figures of men, women, and children. He put them into the oven which he had previously invented. But since he hadn’t invented a timer and a thermometer yet, he had to estimate how much time to cook each batch of tiny dough figurines of the people he had fashioned. So, he put the first batch into the oven, but he took them out too soon. They came out as the “white” people. So, he told himself that the second batch has to stay a little longer in the oven. But he waited a little too long, and so the second batch came out too well done and so they were the “black” people. And so to remedy the situation, He put in the third batch and took it out timing it carefully. And so they came out just right. He called these the Asian people [a bit of reverse racism here]. And so He created people. Even though the people became highly knowledgeable and civilized after a few million years or so, they kind of forgotten about Him, and so He invented immaculate conception and created a Son of his own. He called it Godson. Some people wanted him to call his Son by the names of Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, or whatever, but since God is God and there is no way of telling him what to do, Godson became part of the vocabulary and reality. So, this was the Original Story. Then the people created Hollywood. After that, nobody knows the truth anymore. people created Hollywood. After that, nobody knows the truth anymore.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
February 13, 2010

I have not been posting the responses to the weekly discussions in this journal and I have to do so now. I haven’t been writing in response to the View Points and I have to do so now. From this point on, I have to follow instructions more carefully.

This is the beginning of the 5th week for me, and I have to write about the Master’s program and what it is to me. It means developing a certain kind of confidence through expertise in what I study and do. It also means catapulting me to a position where I can be an independent scholar for the rest of my life.

For someone who is 61 already, I realize that I must consolidate what I have learned in life so far and put all the experiences to good use. I need to integrate them so that there is a certain identity or “brand” to it.
My Master’s degree will be on psychoanalytic literature. I want to study not only what writers write, but also why they write what they do. This means then that I must study a whole spectrum of social, political, and philosophical issues of the epochs that the writers write. Some write for pure personal pleasures and not meant to share with others. I wonder about the poems of Emily Dickinson and wonder if she expected them to be published.

Others write to change the world. Some are very controversial: such a writer is Solomon Rushdie.

Now let me think about my background for such an undertaking.

I am already a published, award-winning poet. And so what is there to do, after we have climbed the mountain, asks Donald Justice? We can look down at the valley and regret that we are here with the snow and miss the warmth of the valley?

Climbing literary mountains isn’t exactly what I am out to do. I have always written for therapy.


Viewpoints from Your Mythic Journey

P 10. Make a list of 10 words or phrases that describe you best. I am _____________.

They might be functions, feelings, activities, affiliations (ticket taker, frightened, Rotary Club president, student, competent, clown).

I am a writer who is also a philosophy student. I am anxious to become a better scholar and to exercise more care in my thinking and writing. I am hard working. But I suffer also a serious mental illness. I sometimes deny my mental illness. I am a businessman who has a lot of good ideas but not enough capital. I cannot do many things such as driving a car because I am on medication. I am a good friends.

In what ways are you unique?

I am unique in the sense that I have survived a 3 decade mental illness and still retain enough wits about me to work for the good and to challenge myself into doing more and more. I don’t rest on my laurels either. What I have done is phenomenal all things considered. But I am not going to capitalize on it. I want to keep going and be of help to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment