Monday, February 22, 2010

self-directed learning


I want to do my thesis on Is There A Problem of Identity in Chinese-American Writers. First of all, what is the problem? How do I define the problem? Here is where I am going to start using the analytic philosophy style of writing - premise, argument, and conclusion.

Secondly, I got to flesh out the argument. I must then use many examples. Not only do I use examples that support my thesis, but I also have to present the strongest arguments from the opposing points of view. Then I still remain objective until the jury is in.

How do I direct my learning? As always, research the literature and see what has already been done. Find where the weaknesses are and exploit that, research and fill the gap. What if someone is wrong? Someone who is recognized to be an "authority"?

There is always more than what meets the eye. Who for instance say that that "authority" is who (s)he claims to be? What ulterior motives could they have. Here my paranoia personality serves me well. Don't overlook any detail that in any way contradict their claim, especially if there is a power group that may "use" that particular writer for a purpose. I know that in recent years, China bashing has become very popular.

But don't stop there. I am a China born Chinese. Does that color my vision somewhat? Am I really overlooking the inhumanity in China, especially the issue of "human rights?" Or is that a false issue based solely on what the West's unworkable notion of "individual freedom?" Now why do I say that there is a problem of the emphasis on the individual?

Now my wheels are turning. This idea of individualism vs. the group, how far back in history does it go? Where there economic reasons for such bipolar views? Or is it the "nature" of being "animals" after all in a biological sense?

Why has the West evolved Christianity, in particular the notion that only the "pledge" to accept Jesus is all it takes to live a good life? I mean by this that the wishes and the well being of the group or community in which one is a part of pales in comparison with one's "convictions."

Is there historical reasons why China was different in this regard?

Then, I need to look at the historical fact of Empire Building. What are the excuses and dynamics of empire building? Why do they always fail? Is America the next Giant to fall? Will China really overtake the US?

No comments:

Post a Comment