Thursday, September 23, 2010

Poem about Chinatown -- not the ID

Nobody gives a shit about us





The high walls I cannot scale


( with apologies to Tu Fu )



Desolate in my Chinatown morning,
among the scraps and people sleeping in urine
doorways, I ache from the politics of the heart.

Pigeons flock together in Hing Hay Park,
no children to greet them.
I walk for my sanity, since alone in my room
before dawn, the mind constructs improbable things.

The city is humming for profits
and I wait for the porridge place to open.
A bowl of sampan porridge
adorned with a clump of watercress.

These Chinese and I are one, scattered
in the four corners of the globe.
I only have enough to pay for one bowl
and so sorry, my friend, I must dine alone.


Koon Woon
2012 18th Ave. South
Seattle, WA 98144-4324
August 5, 2005
(206) 329 - 5566

No comments:

Post a Comment